Monday, October 8, 2007

If you don't like it here then leave!!

Sorry to interrupt my summary of my trip to Vegas but I saw something over the weekend that so angered me I had to post a rant. I live in a decent apartment complex and my neighbors are a varied mix of folks. Some have political bumper stickers, some don't. I have my Darth Vader antenna topper (Thanks again Mum!) which I am immensely proud of. Anyway, I pulled into my building's parking lot and I saw a car parked with the this on a bumper sticker:

Kansas - As bigoted as you think

Don't get me wrong, the only connection I have to Kansas is, I currently live here and my wife is from here though she, like myself, was born in Missouri, unlike me, she lived the majority of her life here. I on the other hand don't really have a "home state". I call Missouri my home since, in bits and pieces I have spent more time in Missouri than anywhere else. But I'm definitely Midwestern and while Kansas isn't home, it's close enough.

This state is NOT bigoted! I won't deny there aren't racists here, there are racists everywhere, for a short time there was one in my family (thank god my aunt divorced that loser).

I better than anyone should know this. Looking at me, you see a white guy, looking at my name, you see a Hispanic. Now I've seen employers (and colleges) who were obviously expecting to see a "minority" walk through their door for an interview and I've seen people who weren't expecting a white guy to have Mexican blood. But these are so few and far between as to be negligible.

In a way, that sticker is right, this state is only as bigoted as you think. Facts are it isn't but that won't convince the those who want to believe it is.

Oh, and the most ironic thing (least to me) is that right above that sticker (they've got it in their rear windshield) is a sticker for Kansas State University.

So I'll say it again...you think this state is so bad, then get out of it! It may not be home, but it's good enough for me.

No comments: