Tuesday, October 9, 2007

What happens in Vegas...Monday

After the night before, I can completely understand why the first thing on the conference agenda didn't begin until 10 am, and that was only for the Board and Committee members. The first thing that average delegates were able to attend would be seminars beginning at 11:15 am. My supervisor glanced at them the night before and neither caught his fancy, either for himself or for me. So instead of attending, we slept in, went to breakfast at the Rio's Carnival World Buffet. To say it was delicious would not do it justice. Soooooooooooo good.

Then we decided to see some sights and headed out to Hoover Dam. Having just saw Transformers, it felt like I'd just been there, but while the Dam was just as large as I imagined, the bridges that connected the towers were a lot smaller than they looked. Based on the size of the bridges, Starscream isn't really that big of a Transformer. Go figure.

Anyway, after we spent about 30 minutes at the Dam, we headed back to Vegas and attended the afternoon seminars. The one we attended was called, "Rental Taxation Issues". Let me tell you something. That thing wasn't nearly as exciting as it sounds. Though it started good, the suit that was opening the session began by saying that taxes had to be paid yada yada bad things happen when you don't pay your taxes and he had a friend who was going to tell us what happened when you don't pay your taxes. Elvis came on stage and sang "Jailhouse Rock". He was good! I still don't like Elvis though.

After that seminar (it honestly wasn't that bad), we met up with our company's group and one of our Regional managers was disappointed we'd already gone to the Dam because he hadn't seen it before, but since it was only a 25 min drive, and the dinner wasn't for another two hours my supervisor decided to go again. So we all piled into the van and headed out again. Back to the Dam, oohed and aaahed then headed back to Vegas, up to our respective rooms to change for Monday's evening activities.

Dinner was at the Flamingo along with an awards ceremony. It was a decent buffet though the chicken was dry. After dinner we were all given our tickets for the next show. After Sunday's "entertainment" I was a bit hesitant. But our company was sponsoring the event I attended. I got the added perk that our company got front row seats (I was literally resting my elbow on the stage.)

Monday night we saw The Second City. It's an improv comedy show. Saturday Night Live meets Who's line is it anyway? They were good, I had many hearty laughs though some of their stuff was a tad edgy. Though compared to Cool, they were positively prudish.

After the show, our group headed out to another night on the town. A couple of bars including one that was very good, across the street from the Mirage, outdoors, shaped like a carousel, with a live band. The music was great, the drinks I wouldn't know because I abstained. Simply because I was so tired that any additional alcohol (I'd had a drink at the show) and I'd fall asleep. Eventually I was nodding off enough that the big boss of the group handed me a twenty and told me to catch a cab. Fare was $7 back to the resort, I tipped the guy $3, went to the room and fell asleep. Tomorrow was my flight home.

No comments: